Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Getting Ourselves In Perspective

Thanks again, for tuning in to my series, 5 Keys to getting Your Life in Perspective!  
 
Last week I shared how I took charge of my health. The next step was to get my emotions and feelings in check...because as we know,

 "attitude determines our altitude!" 

How did I get control over my emotions and feelings? 

It wasn't just one thing I had to learn...It's tough duty to get life in perspective! As I began to gain control over my time, finances, and health it became evident this would require a lot of self-control!

While on one hand we know what to do, on the other is the discipline to take action and establish new habits! Once again, we cannot or should not try to control other people, but we CAN become empowered by exercising control over our own selves, our feelings, and emotions.
  
Have you ever felt overwhelmed, hopeless, desperate, or frustrated?

That was me! Here's how I got it together and keep it together on a daily basis...
I got a grip on MYSELF!

After reading this quote in my favorite book
1 Thes. 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances
During this troubling transitional time of life, I thought, "Where is the joy in this? No way am I feeling thankful!" Uh oh. Once again, let's reiterate, 'If attitude was to determine my altitude, I was going down!' The answer? Look up! Each morning I sat down with a blank journal and forced myself to write any and every little thing that was positive and to be thankful for. It could be any seemingly insignificant thing that brightened my day or brought a smile. I MADE IT SIGNIFICANT. Over time, my focus began to change from negative to positive as I searched for everything good in my life for which to be grateful. Filling my journal and heart with gratefulness began to crowd out any longing, emptiness, loss, or painful feelings. I found control over my emotions and feelings by looking in a new direction! You see, thoughts and feelings lead to emotions. These factors determine the direction of our actions. When you want to get somewhere, you look for and follow directions, right? Look...Follow...Go!

After months of feeling so "stuck", suddenly I was moving FORWARD, amen!

I gained control because I was finding and following new emotions and feelings, whew! What a relief! You can do it, too!

What started as emotional control blossomed into DISCIPLINE with my attitude, habits, time and other areas of life. Doing 100% of my part and leaving the rest to everyone else in covering THEIR part was positively LIBERATING! Get it? I found freedom!

I also took a look at self-control on the outside... as in how I presented myself outwardly in appearance and communication. This becomes real important on a job search! The manner in which we present ourselves personally, in speech, writing, and even internet dialog affects our appearance to the public as well as our own self-esteem. Ah, progress!

Although making forward progress, the rollercoaster of good days and bad days still took me for a ride until I began to consider two things:
INPUT AND INFLUENCE...            

No comments:

Post a Comment