Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where Do You Go From There?

My doctor told me I was ready to explode...or disintegrate or something...

So Where Do You Go from There?

I had to slow down because my job, while promoting health and nutrition, was causing my demise...and alienating our family!

"But where do I go from here?" I asked. Long story short, I sold my organic produce business to a family willing to run it (starting it was the hard part!), and moved back to Southern California to be closer to family and start a new project.

Once again, "Where do I go from here?" was the question when I could not find a job or figure out what to do with myself in this transition.

Always looking up to God when seeking answers, I looked, prayed, asked...but the answer did not come easy or quickly. He told me I had work to do...first it was on me. I did a lot of studying, a lot of thinking, and of course, a lot of prayer. The answer came to me when I looked up again...thinking about all of my work as a health educator; teaching folks about how nutrition, exercise and how lifestyle affects their health.

But often, they just didn't get it! Just like my kids didn't get it.

My daughter was at the age of 14 and preparing to enter high school after three years of behavior disintegration in middle school. We had to do something different or she would either be thrown out, beat up, or placed in a special needs classroom.

Obviously I needed help. My friend Barb, who I met years earlier in a parenting class, was doing some new work with a special type of training. She raised two adopted children with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD). She looked like an entirely different person when I saw her again...her demeanor was calm and helpful. She was unmoved by any and all chaos around her! (i.e. my children). She explained how she was going to help by giving me a picture of what my child's brain looked like from an electrical standpoint. It would give us an idea what was going on in the different lobes which all perform different functions such as thinking, this would be a simple test done by pasting EEG electrodes on the head and recording electrical activity in various locations of the brain which control things like behavior, memory, self-control, emotions, pain, learning, and motor skills. This was not just going to indicate whether these parts of the brain were on or off, but exactly what levels of activity were going on... Was that part of the brain asleep, daydreaming, relaxed and awake, thinking, or was it in fight or flight panic mode?

Wow! It worked. 

My daughter was transformed from a frequent flyer in the principal's office and sitting out of class in the hall to an honor student in her freshman year.

Why do I share this with you?
I felt like a failure as a parent but I found an answer... will share in the next post...
  

Becky Bassham
www.EdgeNeuroFitness.com

    

No comments:

Post a Comment